I am overjoyed that this week is finally coming to an end. It was definitely a rough one. After just getting over a two week sickness, one of my roommates came home and said she went to the doctor and definitely has the flu…good thing I had a weakened immune system (not really a good thing). So with that being said, this was a tough week to get all of my work done.
I began this week with doing a photo reflection. I wrote a post about it which can be read at this link: http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/photo-reflection/
My biggest take away from this first task was from one of the resources we were supposed to look over which can be read at: http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-5-visual-storytelling/#becoming-better-photographers
The next part of this week included watching two films. I watched “Killer’s Kiss” and “He Walked By Night.” Both of them were pretty good, but I definitely enjoyed “He Walked By Night” more than “Killer’s Kiss.” These two films both had characteristics that made it easy to determine that they were noir films. We had to write a reflection on noir and visual storytelling after watching these films. My reflection can be found at: http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/reflect-on-noir-and-visual-storytelling/
Next up was our task to complete a photo safari through our Flickr accounts. This included posting 5 or more photos with aspects of noir being portrayed. These aspects could be any of the following:
1. dramatic use of distinct shadows
2. lighting from one side
3. off-kilter or unusual camera angle/framing
4. the “Venetian blind” effect — using some repeating geometric shadow across a shot
5. sense of drama and/or moodiness
6. characters captured in a tableau suggesting an intense, fraught moment
7. urban nightscapes
8. the grittiness of built environment (building, streets, etc.)
9. a NoirCat
Here are the photos I posted this week for my noir safari:
The next task on the list was to complete 3 Daily Creates this week. This week had some weird ones, but it was still fun to get me thinking differently. I think that my favorite one this week was the second one I completed. It was to make a sculpture out of a sheet of paper. I knew that it would be challenging but once I actually did it I felt extremely accomplished. My three daily creates can be found at the following links:
Next up was choosing assignments from the Assignment Bank. 10 points in total were needed this week with 5 going specifically towards my character, Lena. I have listed by assignments below with the titles, the links they can be found at, the point values, and the link to my work on them.
1. “Word Cloud” http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/word-cloud/ Worth 1 point. http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/word-cloud/
2. “Unsuspecting Friends” http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/unsuspecting-friends/ Worth 2 points. http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/unsuspecting-friends/
3. “What’s In Your Bag?” http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/whats-in-your-bag/ Worth 3 points (required from the view of our character). http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/whats-in-lenas-bag/
4. “Demotivate Yourself!” http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/demotivate-yourself/ Worth 2 points (written from the view of my character). http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/demotivating-myself-written-as-lena/
5. “Newspaper Blackout Poetry” http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/newspaper-blackout-poetry/ Worth 3 points. http://ds106.christineloehr.org/assignments/newspaper-blackout-poetry/
(I think I actually went over the 10 points on accident…whoops!)
The final task on our list was to organize our blog. This was by far the most stressful part of the week for me. I could not figure out how to set up categories and a side bar for the life of me. But after making a visit to Prof. Groom I felt at ease. He made it seem so simple and actually showed me how to do it. I am extremely thankful that he’s willing to work with everyone and understands that not everyone is good at maneuvering the Internet.
So after a very long week in the life of Christine, I am happy to finally be finishing it. Sorry this post is so late but life just got in the way this week and there was nothing I could really do about it.