An assignment I decided to do this week was to create a hybrid animal. I decided to mix Scott’s favorite animal, a dog, my favorite animal, an elephant, and another animal that I think portrays the mixing of Scott and I’s very different personalities, a zebra. The zebra’s black and white pattern signifies just how different we are but it ties together Scott’s favorite thing and my favorite thing. Somehow, our agency just works.
Hey guys, Lena here!
I used to dream of vacations, but now that I’m married, I get to plan a Honeymoon!! Somewhere that I’ve always wanted to go is Aruba. My friends have told me that it’s amazing and I NEED to go. In order to convince El Jota that it’s worth it to go there, I put together this short little presentation! Enjoy (:
Worth: 3 stars
Completed using Lena’s Gmail Account and Google Slides.
For my last visual assignment of the week, I chose one called “Newspaper Blackout Poetry.” It was worth 3 points. Here’s the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/newspaper-blackout-poetry/
When I first saw this assignment, I knew I would want to complete it for this week. So, I picked up the New York Times from the lobby of my dorm. As I brought it back to my room, I realized that the print was extremely small! I went back and looked at the instructions for the assignment and thankfully saw that it was an option to make a picture out of the newspaper. Although my idea is pretty abstract, I think it could be seen in a lot of different views depending upon who is looking at it.
My original idea was to draw an arm filled with words that would tell some type of a story (kind of like a tattoo). But in this paper, there was a big article about Apple vs. Microsoft that caught my eye. There was a large chart on it that consisted of jagged lines. So, I drew the outline of an arm surrounding the blue data line. I kept one word from the title which was “Overtaking.” When I finished blocking everything else out I was very surprised to actually see something really cool. Since I had the background of knowing that this was an article about electronics and how two companies are growing and competing more than they ever have in history, my meaning behind this is probably very different than someone else’s.
I see what I created as a depiction of what is happening to our society. I see the data charts about growing electronics representing the veins in this arm. And as we all know, our veins are essential to our life. With a title like “Overtaking,” I can’t help but think that we as a society are now running off of technology like we cannot survive without it.
I chose an assignment titled “Demotivate Yourself!” worth 2 points and completed it from the viewpoint of my character, Lena. Here’s the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/demotivate-yourself/
So don’t get me wrong, vet school is great and everything…but it can get messy very quick. I decided to make this meme just because I needed to make light of a situation that was not very fun. Today in vet school, I went to my internship working under a local vet. As I’m learning more in school, Dr. Wilson has been allowing me to do more hands on things with the animals that come in (under his supervision of course). So today, this beautiful snow white Poodle came in to the office to get some check ups done on his stomach because he’s been acting different lately and not eating well. In order to do some of the tests that we had to run, we had to give him a little bit of sedative just so he wouldn’t freak out. Well, I got the honors of administering the shot. It would’ve helped us to know that this animal was the absolute WORST at taking shots. As soon as I insert the needle for the shot, he jumps up and leaps at me with the force of something that you couldn’t imagine a poodle could deliver. I fall backwards, smacking my head against the wall and dropping the needle. Meanwhile, this dog is jumping all over me and barking at the needle laying on the ground like it would jump up and attack him. Eventually, the half of the shot that I actually got to give him starts to kick in and he gets just sleepy enough to stop jumping all over the room. He still had the largest look of panic in his eyes, but he physically could not jump around anymore. Dr. Wilson quickly drew the medicine in another needle and administered another half of the shot needed for the full dose. This was by far one of the most embarrassing yet scariest moments I have experienced in school so far. So, although vet school can sometimes just seem like a bunch of students playing with animals, I hope people start to realize that animals can freak out just like humans except they can’t use words. What a day as an intern….
This assignment was a required assignment on the character we made up and it was worth 3 points. Here is the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/whats-in-your-bag/
In Lena’s bag there are only a few things. She’s a simple person and only carries the essentials with her!
1. Blistix – This is something that Lena has to have on her at all times, whether it’s in her purse or just in her pocket. Especially at this time of year in New York, it’s very easy for her to get chapped lips. The bitter winds will beat on you up there and going from the outside to inside is always a drastic temperature change.
2. Key Ring – Another item in Lena’s bag is her key ring that has her keys to her apartment and to her car. Although this seems like a pretty common item for anyone, Lena always uses it for safety. When walking home from classes or from anywhere at night, she gets a sense of protection by holding the keys between her fingers if someone were to come at her.
3. Mace – This is another item that Lena uses for a sense of protection. This is the little black tube that’s in the middle front of the picture. Her dad bought this for her before she went away to college so he would have a little bit of piece of mind too. As we’ll learn later on… Lena has a reason for having all these walls up and having two different ways to protect herself.
4. RayBans – The next item that’s in Lena’s bag is her RayBans. They’re the tortoise shell wayfarers with Lilly Pulitzer croakies. Since Lena walks everywhere, she always needs to protect her sensitive blues eyes while also looking fashionable.
5. Dark Lipstick – This is one of Lena’s favorite things. It’s a deep berry colored lipstick that she always has on her. She doesn’t wear it everyday but she keeps it on her just in case she needs to spice up her outfit or look a little different under her RayBans and floppy hat.
6. Wallet – This is kind of an obvious thing to have in a purse, but it is essential to include. In here, Lena has her credit card, gift cards, and just a little bit of cash. She doesn’t carry a ton just in case she were to lose it. You can cancel a credit card, but you can’t make your cash come back.
7. Headband – Since Lena is in Veterinarian school, she always needs to be able to get her hair out of her face. When working with any animal, her shoulder-length hair will swing right in front of her face and distract her. The headband pictured is her favorite one that her family had sent her when they went on a mission trip to Guatemala. Now that her family is in Scotland, they travel more and more to places all over the world and send Lena a souvenir from each place they go to.
8. Advil – Another item in Lena’s bag is a small bottle of Advil. Lena gets headaches all the time from neck and back problems that she’s had for years. There’s nothing she can really do about it besides try to relax her muscle with heated pillows and massages. So, she always carries some Advil around for the small pains that nag her throughout the day.
9. Small Moleskin & Pen – This last item is Lena’s favorite thing that she carries around with her. She uses the pages as a place to write any thoughts or ideas that enter her mind. She writes them all down before she even has the chance to forgot them. So if she happens to leave it at home during the day, her entire day is thrown off.
Well… hopefully we’re still friends. In this visual assignment I chose to complete, the task was to take pictures of unsuspecting friends. Throughout the week I have been collecting these pictures to make this a good one. This assignment is definitely visual and it definitely helps you get creative by taking pictures at times you never really think of to take pictures of people (like while eating). This assignment was worth 2 points. Here’s the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/unsuspecting-friends/