The assignment guidelines can be found here. This design assignment is worth 2 and 1/2 stars.
The postcard I made is from a place that I want to be right now. My family lives in Scotland and I haven’t seen them in so long! I would love to go visit them, but I’ve just been so busy. However, Scott and I worked out a schedule with our News Agency and I’ll be able to visit them in a few weeks!! I’m so happy to work with people like Scott who put such an emphasis on family and spending time with them. I can’t wait to see them (:
After having Claudia Rose on my show for DS106 Radio, I got really intrigued in her story. So, I decided that I would make a photo that’s a good representation of something big that’s going on in her life right now.
As most of you know, she killed her husband. I used these silhouettes to try and display the scene of it happening. I then created it into a wallpaper so people who are into this sort of “noir” theme can use it.
I hope you enjoy!
Worth: 4 stars
Completed using Adobe Photoshop.
One assignment I did this week is focused on my new husband (of course). I wanted to make him a Valentine’s Day Card since we weren’t married on Valentine’s and I love the holiday. I also just wanted to show how much I love him! Hope this doesn’t make anyone jealous…
Worth: 3 stars
Completed with the help of http://www.faceinhole.com/v2/home.asp and Adobe Photoshop.
This assignment was to illustrate at least four of the ten concepts of design photos that were given to us. The ten concepts given were color, typography, metaphors/symbols, minimalism & use of space, form/function/message, balance, rhythm, proportion, dominance, unity. Here are my photos and my thoughts behind each one:
1. This photo was taken on campus walk right outside the Nest. I saw this photo as having elements that portrayed “color” because of the green vines coming in on the side of the photo. Another thing that was a secondary thought about this photo was form/function. Does this clock in the middle of this little courtyard area actually work and is it useful?
2. The second photo I took is of an old cathedral in Philadelphia. I took this picture over Christmas break when I was visiting me sister. I think the concept of “rhythm” can be seen in this photo in two different ways. Not only is there repition that’s defining pattern on the actual Cathedral, but the ornamentation of the building also contributes to the texture of the photo. The contrasting dark lines on the building make it pretty easy to determine where one piece ends and another one starts.
3. This photo is of a place called The Obici House which is located in Suffolk, VA. I visited here over Christmas break as a potential wedding venue for my sister’s upcoming wedding. When I was looking through all of my photos for this design blitz, I saw this one and thought it was a good example of “Use of Space.” I think that the plain white outside of the house is clean and simple, but the elegant yet not too ornant entry way balances the house out well. Although the entry is not minimalistic, the rest of the house is.
4. This next photo is probably my favorite…and not just because it’s of blueberry cheesecake. Not only did I like the colors that looked very vivid, but also I thought the layers looked really cool. I saw it as an example of proportion with the layers. If there would’ve been too much of one layer it would’ve completely thrown off the dessert. And you don’t wanna mess with a dessert.
5. This final photo is just a random one that I took while in a library. I loved the colors of the sunset, but it turns out that I couldn’t take a picture of it without getting that glare off of the window. Thankfully, it still ended up looking really cool! I saw this picture as an example of dominance. Since there is so much going on, I think it’s really up to the viewer to determine where the eye goes first when looking at the photo. It’s also an example of balance because the arrangement of the objects and images are so intertwined and hard to depict.
This assignment was titled “Pokemon Card” and it’s worth 3 stars. I completed this assignment as my character, Lena. Here’s the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/pokemon-card/
When I first saw this assignment, it made me laugh a little. I remember being an avid Pokemon card collector when I was younger. I had binders full of cards and took great pride in my collection. So, why not make my own? Except I made one for my character, Lena. Here are the logistics:
Type – Grass
Serie – 1st generation
Hit points – 100 HP
Evolution – Basic
Attack 1: Mind Reading – Read your opponents next move and be able to avoid it without any damage.
Attack 2: Kindness – Kill them with kindness. Give them a compliment, a smile, or even puppy dog eyes…whatever it takes. Instantly disables all opposing attack mechanisms.
Weakness – Fighting
Resistance – Psychic
Retreat Cost – 1
I created this card using a program called http://www.mypokecard.com/en/ I got to play around with all of the different settings for my character as well as basic design. It was great to be able to personalize it and make it specific to Lena. The picture that I used for this card is a picture of a woman meditating. This is meant to depict Lena because not only does it fit the description on the card, but she also loves yoga and meditating. Here’s the final product:
This assignment was titled “Motivational Poster!” and it’s worth 3 stars. I created this poster and narrated it as my character, Lena. This is the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/motivational-poster/
“Today was one of those days when you get a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel in veterinarian school. I’ve loved working at my internship and today I was able to diagnose a cat’s itchy skin without the help of Dr. Wilson. I was commended on my thorough evaluations of the cat as well as a speedy diagnosis. It’s days like today that remind me why I want to be a veterinarian and it gave me the confidence of knowing that I’m in the right field of work. I love animals and I love being able to help them. With that being said, I made this motivational poster that can be used for anyone in Medical School. It can be tough, but it will be so worth it.
The quote on the poster is one of my favorites. It reads, “Dreams don’t work unless you do.” This was my starting point because I have to constantly remind myself of the truth behind this quote. Next, I found a picture online of a girl with a bunch of books around her. This was pretty simple thanks to google images. The next step was to combine the picture and the quote. I gave myself 2 options; I could either spend time figuring it out in Photoshop, or I could try to find a program that would make it easier on me. I opted to find a program. I just did a search on google and came up with http://bighugelabs.com/motivator.php This website was awesome. It was so easy to use and I could save the final product anywhere on my computer. Here’s the final product:
This assignment I decided to complete is titled “Cartoon You” and is worth 3 and a half stars. Here’s the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/cartoon-you/
For this assignment, the task was basically to just make yourself into a cartoon. There were a lot of options given to us that I could use to cartoon myself. I decided to use an internet program to get the job done because I know that if I were to try to do it in Photoshop, it would result in me pulling my hair out. The website that I used to do this is http://www.befunky.com/create/ It was fun to do and I spent some time messing around with the program just to see what it had to offer. Under the “Effects” category, I decided to use the effect called “Cartoonizer 1.” I then played with the color and clarity of the picture to get me final product. Overall, this was a fun little assignment that ended up not being too stressful!
I decided to complete the assignment titled “Professor Groom Poster” which is worth 4 and a half stars. This is the link to the assignment: http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/professor-groom-poster/
For this assignment, I decided to put Professor Groom’s face on an ad for the popular TV show “The Bachelor.” And I must admit, the final product for this assignment was absolutely hilarious. However, getting to the end was not a breeze by any means. I am extremely inexperienced with Photoshop or really any kind of photo editing. I first began by downloading Adobe Photoshop. Once downloaded, I opened the program thinking this assignment would be simple. WRONG. I now understand why this assignment was worth 4 and a half stars besides thinking that Professor Groom just wanted his face on a bunch of TV or movie posters. Putting his face on an ad was very challenging. After spending about 45 minutes trying to figure it out myself, I eventually turned to internet tutorials to help me out. Thank God for video tutorials. Was the final product worth all of the work? You tell me…